Mission

Join us as we see where God is present in our lives. We most definitely aren't walking with Him in the Garden of Eden despite the fact that so many are shedding clothes instead of covering themselves up. However I am willing to bet that God is closer to us than we think and that He has genuinely planted truth in the flesh of our hearts.



Sunday, May 27, 2012

Katy Perry - "Part of Me"


I'm a pretty big Katy Perry fan myself, and I have to admit this song is one of my favorites.  Not only is it super catchy but it's packed with emotion.  It gives us a glimpse into how much pain has been left in her heart following her divorce with Russell Brand.  So much has been taken from her that she could never get back.  She says in the first verse "You took my light, you drained me down."  What a terribly painful this experience must have been for her.

Regardless of whether or not you like Katy Perry as a person, I think that we can all say we've had experiences which took our light and drained us down, times when life seems totally unfair, when it seems like everything is working completely against us...enduring the death of a loved one, getting laid off from work, getting past a difficult breakup, failing an important exam...sometimes life just seems impossibly hopeless, like it's trying to break us down and tear us apart.  We all go through moments like this, but I love the message behind the refrain of this song which suggests that no matter what life throws at us, it cannot totally defeat us...

"This is the part of me that you're never gonna ever break away from me, no.  This is the part of me that you're never gonna ever break away from me, no.  Throw your sticks and your stones, throw your bombs and your blows, but you're not gonna break my soul. This is the part of me that you're never gonna ever take away from me, no."

No matter what life throws at us, we need to remember that nothing at all can take away the love of God that lives within us.  "Life" can take away our possessions, security, peace of mind, even our loved ones, but it can never take away God's love from us.  Why is that?  Because we are so sure of our faith and are trying so hard to love God with our lives? No.  The reason why the love of God within us is so unbelievably strong, unbreakable even, is because God loves us.  Nothing we do could ever stop God from loving us, He proved this to us when he died on the cross for us rather than try to risk spending an eternity without us!  We read very clearly in 1 John:9-10 "In this way the love of God was revealed to us: God sent his only son into the world so that we might have life through him.  In this is love: not that we have loved God, but that He loved us and sent his son as expiation for our sins."  Nothing could ever stop God from loving us, nothing could ever take that away from us...God loves us too much to ever let us get away.  

"Heavenly Father, thank you for loving me as much as you do.  Help me to better appreciate what a treasure my relationship with you really is.  Guide me during my darkest moments to see the light of your love that burns within me."

No comments:

Post a Comment