Mission

Join us as we see where God is present in our lives. We most definitely aren't walking with Him in the Garden of Eden despite the fact that so many are shedding clothes instead of covering themselves up. However I am willing to bet that God is closer to us than we think and that He has genuinely planted truth in the flesh of our hearts.



Thursday, February 17, 2011

Glee - Instruments of God's Love

I was thinking the other day why is it that I love Glee so much…why do I get so incredibly passionate about some crazy TV show? Why do I get so emotional and obsessed with this seemingly never-ending musical drama? The answer is simple: besides the fact that this show is riddled with Nuggets of Truth, I love putting myself in the place of the characters. At times I see myself as Quinn: the one who falls and goes through so much pain as she tries to pick herself up just to eventually fall again, Artie: the one who knows he’s as talented as everyone else but has to keep pushing through his physical limitations, as Puck: who is so truly good at heart but whose passions lead him off target at times, etc. I love feeling the pain, as well as the joy, of each character as they journey throughout the episodes. Tuesday night’s episode of Glee really hit home during two very intense scenes. However, for the purpose of this post I’ll just focus on one of them…

In the closing minutes of the episode Rachel suggests that New Directions should sing an original song written by them for regionals, rather than the My Chemical Romance song they just practiced. However, Rachel is unanimously outvoted by her teammates leaving her feeling like an outsider: alone and unappreciated. Next, Finn approaches Rachel in private and tells her that he not only agrees that they should do an original song, but that Rachel should be the one to write it. Rachel, who just had her self confidence shattered, asks Finn “You really believe in me that much?” Finn simply smiles at her and replies “more.” He then takes a few steps, turns back to Rachel, and tells her how much he likes Rachel when she is herself, when she is unafraid to let herself shine even when other people may not like it. With this newfound confidence Rachel simply smiles and begins to tear as the episode ends. It really was one of the most beautiful and emotional scenes I’ve ever seen.

In this scene I find it very easy, especially recently, to see myself as Rachel. I know what it feels like to be unanimously outvoted by your friends on something close to your heart. I know what it feels like to feel alone, like the outsider. I know what it’s like to feel as though your opinion doesn’t count because you come from a different perspective. It’s not a fun place to be. It’s a feeling of complete loneliness, a loneliness that can kill anyone’s self esteem.

However, I also know how incredible Rachel must have felt after her conversation with Finn. To hear that Finn believes in her, that he loves her for her gifts and talents even if they may be different and unpopular at times, gave Rachel the self confidence she needed to actually smile and not be afraid to be herself. I’ve been there quite recently in fact, and I know how dangerously wounded Rachel’s heart would have been had Finn not been there to instill that confidence in her.

When we feel alone and lost, God will often send us his loving presence through those around us. He chooses to use us ordinary people to be instruments of his extraordinary love. Though, we Christians are called to not only be recipients of this love, but to be “distributors” of it as well. The thing is we have to be open and willing to allow him to work through us. Seemingly simple and ordinary conversations could in actuality be a communication of God’s love that someone desperately needs, like in this example with Rachel and Finn. Am I aware of this incredible power? Am I aware that if I allow God to live in and through me that he will use me to bring his love to those around me? I have the power to have a real, true impact on the lives of those around me. Rachel really needed that “vote of confidence” from Finn, is there anyone around me that needs a little “pick me up?” Remember, that “little pick me up” could mean far more to that person than you ever realize, it could mean allowing that person to experience the love of God during a time of real loneliness.

“Lord Jesus, during your Earthly life you always brought comfort and love to those who really needed to experience the loving presence of God. Help me to be more aware of the fact that you want to use me in the same way to spread your love to those around me. I want to be nothing more than your humble servant, use me as you wish to spread your love to those who feel far from you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment