Mission

Join us as we see where God is present in our lives. We most definitely aren't walking with Him in the Garden of Eden despite the fact that so many are shedding clothes instead of covering themselves up. However I am willing to bet that God is closer to us than we think and that He has genuinely planted truth in the flesh of our hearts.



Monday, February 7, 2011

Part II: Katy Perry's Firework

To recap what was said last Friday: music reflects the views, opinions, and desires of a culture. Katy Perry expresses her desire for a lasting love in her song "Teenage Dream" but losses hope and settles for a fleeting love that launches itself towards lust. Our generation wants to experience a sacrificial love but are afraid of commitment and the work that needs to go into giving of one's self. I'd even say our generation has lost sight of the gift of life and with that our sexuality. We've devalued ourselves.

Why is it that we are so afraid of commitment and giving of ourselves?

We've made ourselves out to be fragile people. We are afraid to offend anyone. We live as if we must please everyone. We change who we are to fit in or we seclude ourselves by becoming wall flowers so people don't realize we stand out. We are afraid to commit because we fear the loss of a loved one. We fear giving ourselves because we have seen through some of our family, friends, and relative's examples and media how heart broken it can leave you. We put up so many walls we suffocate the light inside of us. That light that makes us unique. The light God has entrusted to us to further his Kingdom here on earth.

 "Do you ever feel like a plastic bag, drifting through the wind wanting to start again?" I sure hope not. However I know in my life I've experienced all of Katy Perry's metaphors. I've felt worthless, fragile, trapped. I've felt like a wall-flower. I just wanted to blend in even though I knew I stood out. Self-esteem is a huge struggle I've dealt with in life. There is no doubt about that. Despite all of this, the greatest part of the struggle was when I finally ignited that light inside of me (of course with God's help through the Sacraments and my family, friends, and community). I let my uniqueness show and I became comfortable with who I am. I "[owned] the night like the 4th of July!" I allowed God to use my gifts and talents he's given me to help bring others to him.

I know it's easy to here Katy Perry sing about igniting the inner light. But think, what could God do with your life if you only let Him be that light? God loved you into being. He has loved you from the start. He'll love you til the end. He won't leave you in between. What joy can you bring others by being yourself?
Imagine. What if Jesus didn't live as himself? What if Jesus, who was fully God and fully man (yes, 100% and 100%), didn't let his light shine by submitting himself to the will of the Father by dying on the Cross? By being himself God the Father was able to reconcile the world to Him through his Son Jesus! That's what God can do when you be yourself. God can do the impossible and he's already begun!

One of my greatest joys about this song is that Katy Perry wants here audience to find the light inside of them. She doesn't sing for you to go out and have sex, drink, and do drugs til the issues go away. Rather she wants you to see that "you're original, [and] cannot be replaced." "You just got to ignite the light and let it shine." I know it's easier said than done. Trust me. I've been there and done that. It's no easy road. But it's a road better traveled having a light than traveling in darkness.

God has blessed you with unique gifts and abilities. Use em! You never know what God has in store for you. That being said, hold your head high! Be proud! Cherish the kodak moments of life. Cherish your life and the life of your loved ones. Don't sell yourself short, especially with your gift of sexuality. I'm not going to go all Theology of the Body on you, but cherish it!

No comments:

Post a Comment