Mission

Join us as we see where God is present in our lives. We most definitely aren't walking with Him in the Garden of Eden despite the fact that so many are shedding clothes instead of covering themselves up. However I am willing to bet that God is closer to us than we think and that He has genuinely planted truth in the flesh of our hearts.



Thursday, March 17, 2011

Bill Gates - Almsgiving

As I said in my post on Ash Wednesday, the first of the three pillars of Lent is Almsgiving, the act of giving what we have to people in need. Today, I want to focus on a man who I think is a pretty good example of that, Bill Gates.

Remember back when Bill Gates was by far the richest man in the world? Granted, the man still has about $49 billion to his name, but now he’s second to Carlos Slim from Mexico who has about $60 billion. What happened to the founder of Microsoft that he’s lost so much money? Surprisingly enough, the reason why Gates is no longer the world’s richest man is he and his wife founded and donated $28 billion to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, a charity which focuses on global health, development, and education. That’s about a third of his money donated to charity! (Different sites give different monetary figures, but I think you can get the picture.)

In addition to that, Bill Gates has announced (see the first link below) that at his death his fortune will not be left to his 3 kids, but rather donated to charity. That same website quotes Bill Gates as saying “I knew I didn't think it was a good idea to give the money to my kids, that wouldn't be good either for my kids or society. So the question was, 'Can I find something that had incredible impact?' I knew I wanted to do that.” What he found was a way to bring better health and education to poor people throughout the world. In addition to that, I read that Bill Gates and Warren Buffett are working to encourage other billionaires to publicly pledge at least 50% of their fortune, either during their life or at their death, to charity.

Growing up I always thought that Bill Gates was just another wealthy snob, another rich guy who thought he could buy happiness. However, I am now able to see Gates in a new light. Hearing him talk about his fortune not as something to be treasured, but rather as something to be given away to the poor people of the world really shows where his priorities are in life.

I’d say if the former richest man in the world decided that money will not bring him, or his children, happiness that’s good enough for me. If Bill Gates can realize that the world is much larger than the comforts of his home why can’t I? If Bill Gates can donate the incredible fortune that he built up throughout his life to charity, why can’t I give a little something to someone who really needs it? Jesus tells us in the Gospel of Mark 12:43-44 “Amen, I say to you, this poor widow put in more than all the other contributors to the treasury. For they have all contributed from their surplus wealth, but she, from her poverty, has contributed all she had, her whole livelihood.”

“Heavenly Father, help me to be more aware of the needs of the poor throughout the world. Guide me that I may look past the comforts of my home and see the needs of the sick, the poor, and the needy. Help me to find small ways throughout this period of Lent to give what I can to those in need, be it money, food, clothing, etc. Guide me in your love.”

Sources:

http://www.myfoxla.com/dpps/news/bill-gates-not-leaving-$53b-fortune-to-kids-dpgonc-20100920-fc_9708843

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/07/bill-gates-no-longer-worl_n_832634.html

No comments:

Post a Comment