Mission

Join us as we see where God is present in our lives. We most definitely aren't walking with Him in the Garden of Eden despite the fact that so many are shedding clothes instead of covering themselves up. However I am willing to bet that God is closer to us than we think and that He has genuinely planted truth in the flesh of our hearts.



Friday, June 10, 2011

MTV's Skins Cancelled

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/skins-cancelled-season-two-20143/

When I found out this morning that MTV was cancelling Skins I honestly wasn't surprised. I had only seen the first half of the first episode, but I never heard anything good about the show. Everyone I talked to said its incredibly unrealistic, obsessed with sex and drugs, and just plain stupid.

The thing is...it wasn't adults that told me all these terrible things about Skins...it was kids! (When I say kids I mean high schoolers.) Every time this show came up in conversation with kids at school or at the youth center they would blast the show apart, saying how ridiculous and how stupid it is. They all said it's a terrible show that they have absolutely no interest in watching. We have some smart kids...I never had to convince them that Skins was a terrible show...they were convincing me!

Call me an optimist or an idealist...but I really think that Skins getting cancelled shows something positive about our society. It shows that despite the secularism, materialism, and relativism that found its way into the conscious of our nation, we as a society still do have a conscience. This is a show that is in it's 5th season in England...it only lasted 10 episodes here in the States. Over the course of those 10 episodes the show lost over 2 million viewers, as well as some major advertisers such as Subway, GM, Taco Bell, Wrigley, and H&R Block.

MTV had this to say about the decision to cancel the show...Skins is a global television phenomenon that, unfortunately, didn’t connect with a US audience as much as we had hoped. We admire the work that the series’ creator Bryan Elsley did in adapting the show for MTV, and appreciate the core audience that embraced it.”

Why did Skins not connect with a US audience? I believe it's because deep down our society hasn't completely lost it's connection with what is true and good. We may live in a society that is confused as to where to find what is good and true in the world, but I think there is great hope for the future. If our country can unite together to take down Skins, is it unreasonable to envision a future where our country can unite together and transform our culture into one directed towards life, love, and truth? Maybe I am an idealist, but let's not forget the words that the Angel Gabriel told Mary at the Annunciation "Nothing will be impossible for God" (Luke 1:37).

No comments:

Post a Comment