Mission

Join us as we see where God is present in our lives. We most definitely aren't walking with Him in the Garden of Eden despite the fact that so many are shedding clothes instead of covering themselves up. However I am willing to bet that God is closer to us than we think and that He has genuinely planted truth in the flesh of our hearts.



Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Coming Home by Diddy Combs

We all are on a journey in life. We are all at different stops. Few of us share the same track, that doesn't meant there aren't similarities though. Why else would Diddy say, "I hate that song. I always feel like it's talking to me when it's one." That's the power of music; when it flows forth from the heart it touches the lives of many. In my opinion, "Coming Home" will definitely have that same affect upon the present generations.

When I hear this song, I am reminded of the Prodigal Son and similar resurrection stories. I know I don't need to describe the story to you and that you'll agree that the return is made powerful because of the realization of how much has been conquered through the journey. Christ's death and resurrection is so powerful because of the extent to which we, the creation, were separated from God, our Creator. "Coming Home" reminds us of the second chance that God has given us through Christ.

Let me guess, you are still hung up on the fact that Diddy references premarital sex and co-habitation in his song. Not to mention the descriptions of club scenes and playing women all mixed together with crude language. What do you think the Prodigal Son did with his share of inheritance? I'm not trying to justify the wrongs Diddy describes. The sin is sin; there is no doubt about that. What I'm trying to emphasize is the growth the came from it. The understanding of truth and the journey to return to God.

Some key truths in this song:
1.) "It's easy to be Puff. It's harder to be Sean."
The way I understood this line was that Diddy feels it's easy to live as an avatar. No, I'm not talking about the little blue people. I'm trying to convey that it's easy to live a life without responsibilities. To be this fictional made up person. It's hard though to live in reality. It's hard to face the reality of our lives. This is legit. We all know how easy it is to hide, to deny responsibility, and to go out and party. But we can fail to realize that that will not satisfy us.

2.) "Baby we've been living in sin 'cause we've been really in love but we've been living as friends"
Honestly, how often in Hip-Hop/Rap will this line ever be mentioned? Rarely. I personally think this takes great courage to stand up against what culture and society are trying to teach us. Diddy realized that sex and living together require a greater commitment and without that commitment the house can't be a home. All this time they've just been friends. They remained two distinct people. The sacrament of Marriage goes beyond that and makes two people one.

Diddy realized he needed to grow up and mature. He acknowledged that he screwed things up in his life and in order for him to come home he had to right his wrongs. When he gets home though it is key to recognize what he does. Diddy thanks the Lord and then he thanks everyone else for journeying with him.

How is this a resurrection story? The refrain tells it all. This is a journey of returning to the Heavenly Kingdom. A journey where the past is washed away and we learn from our mistakes. It's a journey where we ask for forgiveness and then try and live a better life while helping people along the way.

I'm coming home
Tell the world I'm coming home.
Let the rain wash away all the pain of yesterday.
I know my kingdom awaits
and they've forgiven my mistakes

What truths have you been avoiding? Don't be afraid of the return home. God will work with you no matter your state in life. It'll be a long and rough journey but slowly the rain will wash away the pain of yesterday, you have a community of people journeying with you as well. Hopefully then you can enjoy the Kingdom of Heaven when the time comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment