Mission

Join us as we see where God is present in our lives. We most definitely aren't walking with Him in the Garden of Eden despite the fact that so many are shedding clothes instead of covering themselves up. However I am willing to bet that God is closer to us than we think and that He has genuinely planted truth in the flesh of our hearts.



Thursday, January 20, 2011

Gil Meche Retires from MLB

Let’s change it up a little and look at something crazy that just happened in the world of sports. Pitcher Gil Meche of the Kansas City Royals has decided to retire from the game of baseball. Two things make this sudden retirement quite unusual. First and foremost, Meche deciding to retire now means he is opting out of the last year of his contract, a year in which he would be earning 12.4 million dollars. Secondly, Meche is retiring at the age of 32, which is fairly young in baseball years. Meche could theoretically play for at least another 4 or 5 years at a decent level and make even more money. What the heck is this guy thinking?

Ever since the Royals gave Meche a huge contract that he didn’t deserve back in 2006 I couldn’t stand the guy. I thought it was despicable that such an average pitcher could sign a deal worth 55 million dollars over 5 years. Unfortunately for Meche, his career didn’t quite pan out as he was overworked by his manager, causing him some shoulder problems over the past few years. Meche knew he had every right to collect that 12.4 million, no matter how poorly he performed, even if it meant being banished to the bullpen. He is also only 32 years old, so he could also have elected to have surgery to fix his shoulder and still come back and try to resurrect his career. So again, why wouldn’t the guy hang around at least for another year to finish off his contract and retire after getting that nice fat paycheck?

The reason is actually quite simple…Gil Meche is a man of real integrity. He has too much respect for himself, for his family, and for the game of baseball to hang around and collect money that he knows he will not truly earn. Meche is not a man who will allow his life to be dictated by money or by the expectations of those around him. Meche knows he could hang around and collect a paycheck, or he could take this time to stay healthy and grow closer to his family. In a recent interview, Meche even said “Yeah, a lot of people might think I’m crazy for not trying to play and making this amount of money. I don’t think I’m ever going to regret it.” I admit I was completely wrong about Gil Meche; he is truly a great man. This is one thing I really love about the world of sports, knowing that for every cocky loudmouth like Terrell Owens there is a quiet, honest man like Gil Meche who is just doing what he thinks is best for him and his family. Gil Meche was nothing but a very average player during his career, but it is his manner of retirement that makes him an all star in my books. (For the full story CLICK HERE )

I think the Gil Meche retirement gives us all a chance to take a minute and think about where our motivations in life truly lie? Why do I get up in the morning and do the things I do. What are the chief motivations behind my day to day decisions? Do I act the way I do simply because I’m looking out for myself and my own wants and desires? Do I act the way I do because I’m looking for the easiest way to get through school, work, etc.? Do I act the way I do because I love my friends and family and want to do what’s best for them? Do I act the way I do because of my love for God and my desire to bring about the kingdom of God wherever I go?

I think today is a good day for us to take a few minutes and think about what the honest answers to the above questions would be. After finding the honest answers, think about whether or not you can call yourself a person of true integrity. Looks like it’s time for another examination of conscience…

No comments:

Post a Comment